As our population ages, students are more and more needing to learn to manage a growing body of knowledge and skills specific to the elderly. Geriatrics is a field rich with learning in all aspects of the core competencies. Geriatrics lends itself to primary care and longitudinal exploration as on most third-year rotations the objectives critical in a geriatric curriculum and the patients will present themselves as opportunities time and again.
Resources and Ideas
- A longitudinal patient experience on your core site, documented by patient notes/
- Documentation of patient encounters aligned with Geriatric topics, for example H&P of a 70 year old ER patient with Dementia
- Presentations on appropriate topics delivered at your rotation sites
- Geriatric conferences or live learning events.
- Aquifer Cases targeting geriatric patients
- The Portal of Geriatrics Online Education
- AAMC GERIATRIC COMPETENCIES for Medical Students
- And more – this site is a wealth of information!
For Focus on Aging and Dementia and Research in Gerontology contact Shin Murakami