Pediatrics and Pediatric Advocacy are areas rich with resources and can be done individually or combined.
- Attend an AAP sponsored event
- Complete a minimum of one blog post
- Complete Aquifer CLIPP cases that are not already assigned in a core third-year course.
- Give a presentation on a pediatric topic
- Follow a pediatric patient longitudinally at your core site and document with medical records.
- Write up a review of a journal article on a pediatric topic
- Do service at a health fair, sporting event, or other pediatric-focused community activity.
Pediatric Advocacy Resources
Here are some options for shaping your Pediatric Track into a Pediatric Advocacy Track.
- Become a student member of the American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians (acopeds.org)
- Attend ACOP conferences
- Become a student member of the American Academy of Pediatrics (aap.org)
- Become a member of the Medical Student Subcommittee (see website for details)
- Attend AAP conferences:
- Attend CMA/AAP Legislative Advocacy Day (held in Sacramento, usually in April)
- Become an advocate – see website for ways you can become an advocate even at the student level.
- You can sign up for alerts about current legislative issues and you will receive template letters to send. You can send to the Peds student clubs on campus for more involvement.
- Become an AAP key contact for your respective federal legislators
- Intern with the AAP (in Washington, DC) – application online
- Start an Advocacy Project- there is a whole page dedicated to resources to help students select and start a project. This would likely be a more longitudinal project for those definitely interested in pursuing Pediatrics
- Intern with Senator Richard Pan (Pediatrician in CA state senate)
- Become an advocate in your community and work with existing public health organizations on issues such as exposure to violence, child safety, poverty, child abuse and access to healthy foods (and many more).
- There are great resources for on AAP’s website and even some grants that could be available for certain types of projects.